Stub implementation of CABINET.DLL

Jeff Smith whydoubt at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 19 09:30:12 CST 2002

>From: Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se>
>To: "'Greg Turner'" <gmturner007 at ameritech.net>, wine-devel at winehq.com
>
> > On Friday 15 November 2002 12:47 pm, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> > > Now that we have the permission to use cabextract
> > > under the LGPL it would be useful to have stubs
> > > for CABINET.DLL so intrested people can work
> > > with implementing it with fewer "infrastructure"
> > > problems.
>[snip]
> > Anyone working on this?  If not I'd be glad to take it on,
> > seems like it
> > should be easy.
>
>I personally doesn't currently have that much time to work with it.
>
>However, when I saw that not much happend despite
>getting code from cabextrect under LGPL I thought
>that perhaps people were having trouble on how
>to create a new DLL in Wine and how to extract
>the declarations from the Microsoft header without
>creating a derived work. I have done it many
>times before so thought why not do it...
>
>So I very happy that somebody is intrested in continuing.
>
>PS. If anybody have some other DLL that they wish to implement
>but don't now how to do it, don't hesitate to ask me to
>create a stub DLL with related headers.

  If it is not too much effort, could you elaborate on the
derived work issue.  I have been thinking about trying to
stub out, then work at implementing, a particular component.
Rather than have someone else do the work, I am more
interested in learning about doing it myself, and about
any issues (legal and technical) involved.
  I am not asking for a complete howto here, but even a
summary of the highlights would be quite valuable (to me
at least).

-- Thanks
-- Jeff S.