Screenshots

Brian Vincent vinn at theshell.com
Wed Nov 20 11:25:36 CST 2002

I've been meaning to put something together for a few days here..

> shots to Brian isn't the best way to go about it as nobody knows who has
> sent what. Have you actually got any yet Brian?

First, take a look at:

http://www.theshell.com/~vinn/ss

Quite a few folks have sent stuff in.  Now, after looking at so
many screenshots and trying to evaluate them for content I've
realized a few things..

1) We're absolutely going to have to insist on 800x600 resolution.
Thanks for all the ones so far, but really the only usable ones
are the 800x600.  (There are exceptions, such as Mike's Quicktime
one that can be resized nicely.)

2) Screenshots of an application doing something are the way to
go.  For instance, the one Mike just sent me showing Adobe's SVG
plug-in in IE is WAY cool.  Unfortunately it's not usable because
of the resolution.  Even a pull-down menu being pulled down is enough.

3) Cluttered desktops suck.  You don't need to have 3 terminal
windows, Mozilla, and everything else in the background.  For the most
part I think the screenshots have followed that rule closely.

Okay, here's the deal.. Thomas Wickline volunteered to do screenshots
of these apps:

Office 2000 and everything in it
lotus notes
Quicken
Quick Books
visio

Carlos Lozano did shots for the "gold" list apps.  I'm going to ask
him for some more here in the future.. (unbeknowst to him)

The following would be nice to see:
any game
the exact same screenshot Mike Hearn sent of IE/SVG except at 800x600
Adobe Photoshop

Anything else is fair game.  I'll put screenshots on that URL above,
so check there before doing any.

-brian