winewrapper

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Nov 21 17:41:29 CST 2002

On November 21, 2002 06:05 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Actually it's a bit more complicated because wineapploader expects a
> normal Wine installation, not to run inside the source tree. But I'm

I know, but it can be modified to support running out of the tree without
loss of functionality.

> not convinced we should really go out of our way to support running
> inside the source tree; IMO we should encourage people to install Wine
> properly before building Winelib apps.

If Wine was a mature, stable project, I'd agree with you. But it's not.
The ability to make a small change in Wine, go back to the Winelib app,
and test it, is invaluable. I would have simply given up debugging PuTTY
f I had to go through a wine install for every little test and experiment
I was making.

But beyond that, the audience for these changes are *Windows* developers.
These guys know Win32, and it's probably easier for them to fix a small
header problem and submit a patch, rather then complain on wine-devel.
These are exactly the guys we want experimenting with Wine to get their
apps to work, and for this sort of thing, you have to work out of the
tree. I know I always do, I'd waste way too much time to do an install
every single time.

--
Dimi.