winewrapper

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Thu Nov 21 20:20:25 CST 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> I'd love for (1) to get solved, but I don't have the time, and expertise to
> do it now. And even if I had, there are other items with higher priority on
> my TODO. My focus is on (2). The only reason I looked into compiling Winelib
> apps is to gather some experience, crystallize it in the form of fixes for
> the Wine tree (so that other don't have to go through the pain), and hope
> that people will start porting more to Winelib.

The thing is, I don't think your patch is enough for that. If we ask
Windows developers to start porting their stuff now, they will run
into major problems and they will leave in disgust, with or without
your patch.

I agree that fixing Winelib is not the number one priority, but we
have to recognize that we won't attract the Windows crowd until we fix
it properly. A couple of hacks here and there won't cut it.

And really, I don't think it's necessarily that much work to fix it;
the main issue is identifying the problems and defining exactly what
we need it to do. And I think the right approach is to have Wine
developers like you try to port apps, because you know how to work
around the problems; giving that task to a Windows developer at this
point is not going to work IMO.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com