Wintab.dll technical issues.

Robert North 7ownq0k402 at sneakemail.com
Tue Nov 26 06:58:46 CST 2002

Patrik Stridvall ps-at-leissner.se |Wine Mailing Lists| wrote:

>>Firstly a quick note:
>>I have opened a bug for implementation of wintab.dll (Bug No. 1160)
>>
>>Now the questions:
>>
>>1: Writing stubs.
>>I'll be taking up Patrik Stridvall's offer to write stubs for
>>anyone new
>>to wine development.
>>

>Yes, I'm working on it right now.
>Will probably not finish tonight though.
>

>>One question about stubs:
>>What's the wine policy on stub return values?

Thanks for all the notes on stubs.
Extremely useful.

>>2: Testing wintab.dll in Win98.
>>wintab.dll is quite complex for what it does.
>>

>I guess you mean wintab32.dll.
>wintab.dll is the 16 bit variant AFAICS.

yes. wintab32.dll
Always confused by both dlls being described in the wintab.h file.

>>Therefore the only practical way to implement it is
>>to work on the functions and communication models that are
>>used by the apps I want it to support.
>>

>Probably.
>

>>To do this, I need some tool that can log the function calls and
>>parameters to the DLL, while wunning Win98.The logging must
>>be able to
>>let the
>>programmer choose elements from data stuctures in
>>parameters/retvals to log.
>>Any ideas????
>>

>There are no good tools to do this AFAIK. But if you find any
>I'm very intrested.

I've resolved the situation by making a wrapper DLL which is tracable
during debug, and will dump to file too.
The winab toolkit made this suprisingly easy. It contains macros which
can reduce the coding of a wrapper dll immensely.

I was intending to release this logging code to the community, but I
don't think it's generic enough.

>>I've attempted to use apis32 and built a wintab.fnl file for
>>wintab.dll.
>>Unfortunately apis32 doen't allow the logging of the contents of data
>>structs.
>>

>Yes. APIS32 is the best AFAIK and it sucks pretty bad IMHO.

Yeah, crashed my machine every time I closed it!
Not going to pay $17 for something that does that.

>>3: Coding standards.
>>I haven't found any coding standards associated with wine.
>>This is particularly important, as I'll be writing new source files.
>>Can someone point me to the standards?
>>

>We have none. Decide for yourself. However please do not choose anything
>to unlik anything else in Wine.

Or maybe many, as implied by slightly heated coding thread :-(

Many thanks
     -Rob.