[RFC] Winelib enhancements (wrc)

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Nov 28 13:11:02 CST 2002

On November 28, 2002 01:35 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> I don't think that's necessary. Using .o files has a number of
> problems, and it's really cleaner to use .res IMO. It's also more
> along the lines of how Windows does it, and allows you to keep using
> windres if you want, instead of being forced to switch to wrc.

I did not mean to say that we should chance the way wrc works.
Just enhance it to support a "direct to .o" compilation mode.

As for "more along the lines of how Windows does it" is an academic
issue: all OSS projects coding for Win32 use windres, and they
compile directly to .o. Keep in mind that windres can be used just
like wrc (.rc -> .res), but nobody uses it like that.

The problem with that of course is that the makefiles have the
resource.o file in all sorts of variables, etc. You can go and
get rid of it from there manually for the initial porting effort,
but it's actually not trivial to come up with solution that's
acceptable to the app maintainer. Keep in mind that due to these
thing working only on Windows, most of the apps don't have
(and don't need) a configure script.

Tweaking build processes is nasty, nasty business. Even the nice
and clean ones are hard to understand, let alone the fact that most
are ... weak. :) For a big project, you're in for a lot of pain.
Most people will no go through with it if they know they don't have
a chance of integrating their changes upstream. Or maybe that's
just me...

--
Dimi.