[RFC] Winelib enhancements (wrc)

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Nov 28 14:10:33 CST 2002

On November 28, 2002 02:26 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> That was my point. If you replace the .rc.o rule by .rc.res and .res.o
> then windres happily builds the .res for you, and it still works on
> Windows too.

This is simple, I agree. Adding a .rc -> .res is simple, and portable.

> Yes you need to change the link command-line but I don't
> think it's that bad.

What about having to deal with the .o file that is present all over the
place? That is the problem. And without a configure script, it becomes
nasty.

> Generating .o files in the proper format for linking directly is
> fairly hard to do cleanly in ELF; wrc actually supports generating C
> files, and we used to do it that way, but you need all kinds of tricks
> to make them integrate properly in the PE header.

In fact, I had something a lot simpler in mind. Currently, we define
a variable called resources in the .spec.c file, which is later used
in the nt_header structure. The idea was to simply generate the
resources tree in a separate .c file, rename it to something like
__wine_<spec file name>_resources, and make it non-static.
Later, we can use it in the nt_header structure, just like we do right
now. We still need to transfer the size of the resources...

--
Dimi.