please don't apply RPC Merge D_PL1

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Tue Oct 15 13:23:47 CDT 2002

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 12:34 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Ove Kaaven <ovek at arcticnet.no> writes:
> > Hmm. Maybe it's possible to do something in the fashion of
> >
> > LONG_PTR RPC_VAR_ENTRY
> >   NdrClientCall2( PMIDL_STUB_DESC pStubDescriptor, PFORMAT_STRING
> > pFormat, ... ); #ifndef __WINE__
> > #define NdrClientCall2 (CLIENT_CALL_RETURN)NdrClientCall2
> > #endif
> >
> > to gain source compatibility.
>
> Well, that's not 100% compatible either, and depending on how the app
> uses it could even fail to compile. I'd say we leave it as LONG_PTR
> and worry about it once we find a case where it matters in practice.

Well, if this were a democracy, I'd vote with Ove on this; his off-the-cuff
implementation might not be the right one, but /something/ ought to be
doable to preserve source-compatibility...

What, exactly, is the source-compatibility scenario we are trying to
protect, here?  Compiling wine under msvc to run the test suite?
Seems like people do, indeed, do this, and I plan to add some
kind of test of this code once I get a usable subset of marshalling &
client stub invocation up and working; which means it'd become an
issue at that time, I guess.

Since I don't think wine is (or should be) a democracy, I will go with
Alexandre's advice ATM, and worry about it once I get around to testing.
Hopefully, this will be sooner than later :)  But I think I can come up
with a reasonable solution at that time.

BTW, for now, WIDL should officially stand for "Wetware IDL" compiler :P

--
gmt

"It has been well said that really up-to-date liberals
do not care what people do, as long as it is compulsory."

-George F. Will