Using winbind with Wine

Luke Howard lukeh at PADL.COM
Wed Sep 25 10:34:09 CDT 2002

>I started thinking about other options when I found the "wbinfo -n"
>call. AFAIK there is no way to obtain equivalent info through PAM/NSS,
>simply because these APIs have no concept of a SID. Obviously apart from
>the SID there is a lot more information to gather from a PDC. I have not
>digged deeply enough into this to be able to enumerate everything, but
>think of the different GetUserInfo() calls on NT.

I suspect those calls on NT ultimately call into the LSA. Sounds like it
would be good if you could make RPCs to SAMBA without having to wrap them
in SMB, ie. over something equivalent to ncalrpc (aka LPC on NT).

>What matters to wine is that if a call goes like this:
>
>Windows app <-> wine <-> PAM or other API <-> winbind <-> RPC <-> Windows server,
>
>we must ensure that the Unicode string wine receives from the app
>reaches the server ungarbled.

You could use UTF-8 if you are forced through C string API.

-- Luke

--
Luke Howard | PADL Software Pty Ltd | www.padl.com