ODBC

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Thu Apr 24 12:29:15 CDT 2003

On April 23, 2003 09:46 am, Ludueña, Leonardo wrote:
> We have an application developed by our company, that
> application use a ODBC connection. I need to know if there
> previous experiencies with that kind of port.
>
> TIA

What do you want to know?

The builtin version of odbc32.dll basically acts as a connection to any
underlying unix ODBC (e.g. unixODBC or iODBC; I only have experience of
unixODBC).  Therefore it basically handles just about anything that the
underlying ODBC does.  We use it against IBM DB2 databases, and I think we
have succeeded (sort of, in the past) against Oracle databases.  The problem
against MS-SQL and other databases is finding a unixODBC driver.

The other possibility is to use a native Microsoft odbc32.dll and its drivers
(if that is legal) and depend upon Wine handling the low-level network stuff
etc.  I don't personally have any experience of that.

--
Bill Medland
ACCPAC International, Inc.
medbi01 at accpac.com