Delayed debug tracing

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Sat Dec 13 14:13:54 CST 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 19:56, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Just the opposite, a wrapper script is much cleaner than adding some
> special handling deep in the Wine core. That way you can define the
> policy you want (switching on a key press, after a delay, after a
> certain function is called, etc.) instead of having the Wine core
> impose its own.

Only at a great loss of efficiency though. The tradeoff that my patch
makes is flexibility for performance - if you are redirecting wines
output through wrapper programs and scripts then you have the overhead
at least of the IPC, and maybe also text parsing. Simply enabling relay
gives a huge speed hit even when not logging things, the last thing
wanted is even more overhead.

Of course if you don't want the special cased wine policy you are still
free to not use it and use wrapper scripts too.

Well, I am not asking you to like it :) It is making it easier to track
down this bug on my slow machine, so that is good.

By the way, does anybody know what 0xeedfade is? The Delphi VCL appears
to translate it to EInOutError, but that doesn't tell me much about the
underlying Win32 meaning.

thanks -mike