default config file creation

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Wed Dec 17 07:51:13 CST 2003

Le mer 17/12/2003 à 05:52, Ivan Leo Murray-Smith a écrit :
> >I was chatting with Rudolf Kastl(che on #winehq) and he was mentioning the
> >things that he was doing for the rpm package.  One of the patches he applies
> >to wine prior to packaging it is a patch that creates local user config files
> >if they don't exist.
> His patches modify wine/libs/wine/config.c and wine/misc/registry.c, I don't see
> the need to change things,
> they could do if Alexandre accepts them in the CVS. They would uniform wine
> packaging, and
> make things easier, also wine-c could be a comprssed dir as it's only usility
> would be to be copied to $HOME, it doesn't really need to be uncompressed in
> /usr/share. Of course, all packagers could just apply these patches to binaries,
> but official packages should just ship vanilla wine (Otherwise why call them
> "official"?), so this depends on Alexandre.

If wine-c is stored uncompressed, it's easier for a site admin to modify
it for all its users.

As for the "official=vanilla", unless there's some QA before each
release, there'll always be a need for last minute patches in binary
packages. See regedit not importing files in 20030813, or the openssl
FAR usage we had on Fedora a few weeks ago.

Also, there are a couple places in Wine which are dependant on how the
underlying distribution is setup, things like menu entries and such. Not
every distro ship a vanilla Gnome or KDE (and then there are many
versions of each).

Vincent