GDI question

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Mon Feb 3 16:10:35 CST 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm testing some apps installation with either the free WineHQ, WineX,
> Crossover Office, and many times I see buttons and other GUI related stuff in
> the wrong size or place, and I understand it's a GDI related issue, so here's
> 3 questions..

Nobody's perfect... :)

> 1. Is the GDI implementation is so bad that it needs hacking per app to make
> it look ok?

No, it's not the GDI, but most likely either our x11drv driver (for the window
management), or just poor controls implementations. A window management rewrite
is planned, I'm trying to fix the controls, when I have time ;)

> 2. Is there a way to take GDI parts from native WIndows and use it in Wine?

You can use comctl32 from Windows, yes. But the window management is our stuff
only. Windows doesn't have a window manager.

> 3. Funding - can any company (transgaming, CodeWeavers, others) can estimate
> the cost of rewriting a better (and faster - the speed of Wine graphics today
> is something in magnitude of 486 PC!) GDI?

Yeah, the GDI is slow. I'd be interested to see a quote from one of the
Wine-based companies.

--
Dimi.