Fast thread-local storage for OpenGL drivers

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Sat Feb 22 14:07:31 CST 2003

Gareth Hughes <gareth at> writes:

> What about the area currently used for GDI?  One other method could be to
> have space at a negative offset from %fs reserved for OpenGL, similar to
> what the IA32 implementation of NTPL does in Variant II of its design.

There are no more guarantees with the GDI area than with anything
else. Microsoft is free to change that whenever they feel like it.

Negative offsets could work, but they would waste a full page of
memory for each thread since the TEB has to be page-aligned. I'd
stronly recommend finding a way to use the glibc threading support

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at