gtk look progress and pthreads.

Keith Matthews keith_m at sweeney.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 23 12:52:59 CST 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:20:10 -0800
Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> James Gregory wrote:
> > Ok, fair enough. Let me start by prefacing this: it won't be
> > perfect, it can't be perfect. I am doing this as a starting point
> > for getting Wine a bit more integrated with Linux. In particular I
> > would like it to integrate more with the GNOME desktop I use (no
> > technical reason to choose GNOME over KDE other than I use GNOME so
> > I'd be able to test the code I write :)). I have only thought
> > through the first few steps; after that I'll be in a better position
> > to see what direction to take next.
>
> Integration is a good goal!  It's great that you're thinking about
> it.

Depends how it is done. What worries me is the statement 'more
integrated with Linux' - wine runs (or should do) on BSDs as well where
there are already problems. Any work that made things worse is
undesirable.

There are also a growing number of people getting upset about the
resource requirements of the window managers and wanting to go back to
fvwm and the like. There was a thread recently on uk.comp.os.linux by
someone who was not happy with the performance of Gnome or KDE on a
PIII-500.

There are also some strange things being done by packagers - the other
day I had to make a minimum install of SuSE and it tried to insist on
the large Cyrus-SASL libraries being loaded just because I had cron
installed. I get worried  about just what these people will do every
time I see someone wanting to tie to anyhting more than a minimum set of
libraries.