wine/ library/debug.c include/wine/library.h i ...

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Jan 3 13:51:14 CST 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
[...]
> Obviously, if people are going to use our interface, they are not going
> to use our long names directly. Why not allow them the option of using
> our short names? How many apps are going to have a TRACE macro _if_ they
> decide to use our debugging API?

In the MFC, afx.h defines a TRACE macro. So no MFC-based application can
use Wine's short names. Actually, no MFC-based application will compile
correctly if we export our own TRACE macro (having macro redefinitions
is not acceptable).

To me that's a pretty significant section of potential Winelib apps
(both in importance and in numbers). Many commercial applications are
using Visual C++ and Winelib and I think it's important to make it easy
for them to use Winelib to recompile their applications on Unix.

So I think TRACE should not be exported by default. I am not opposed to
a -DWINE_SHORT_DBG_API however.

I'm not too concerned about the length of these function names but we
could reduce the name length by replacing the 'WINE_' prefix by just 'W'
though that would slightly increase the risk of collisions.  And we
could replace 'debugstr_' with just 'debug_' or 'dbg_' or maybe 'dump_'
(though dump is not quite correct).

So the main choices are:
WINE_TRACE
WTRACE

and

wine_debugstr_rect
wine_debug_rect
wine_dump_rect
wine_dbg_rect
wdump_rect
wdbg_rect
wstr_rect

 Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't
                                 -- Eric Jong