remote app problem: menus go away at wrong time

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Jan 28 01:40:01 CST 2003

I was sitting at my wife's XP machine with a spare five minutes,
and it suddently came to me that I haven't done enough remote
testing of Wine.  So I ran
wcmd
   cygwin
      startx
         ssh -X mybox
           ssh mylaptop
              wine spyxx.exe
just to see how well wine would work via two ssh hops
on top of x on top of cygwin on top of winxp.

First issue: you can't use the menus with the mouse!  Sure, they'll
pop up, but when you move the mouse down to one of the menu items,
the menu goes away.  It decides the user really wanted to highlight
the toolbar, or something.

Before you say "Aw, nobody'll do that", consider that LTSP is getting
a lot more popular... and last week a local small business owner I know
asked me to help set up diskless Linux workstations to run his existing
Windows apps.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel