Relocate error

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Tue Jul 15 01:33:37 CDT 2003

>On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:22, Fabian Cenedese wrote:
>> err:virtual:map_image FATAL: Need to relocate module from addr 40000000,
>> but there are no relocation records wine: could not load
>> 'C:\IMD\Bin\Imd.exe' as Win32 binary
>
>Start wine win gdb, and issue:
>
>break in main
>run
>
>Check out which executable is in the offending region (my guess is it's wine
>itself, but it may also be some shared libraries).

Then I guess it's not possible as wine can't relocate itself...

>On linux you can see what's at a particular address by looking in
>/proc/<process>/maps, but be aware that you'll probably find out there's some
>system libraries involved, and while you could always relink the wine
>libraries to load at a different address, doing so to system libraries is
>probably not a good idea.

Ok, I will have a look.

>> I didn't change this link address in my app (VC6), it has been there even
>> before I started with wine at all. But when I change this address to say
>> 0x48000000 then it works. So is there something else on this address?
>
>If it's your own app, why are you linking it without relocation records? This
>seems to be asking for trouble.

I don't think I link without relocation records, but I couldn't find that setting
anyway. Where in VC6 would I have to change this? I can only see the
base address, so I thought it's always relocatable. As there was never a
problem in Windows I didn't think much about it. I only made sure that the
exe and the needed dlls are all on different addresses so in case of a crash
I know where it happened.

Thanks

bye  Fabi