Wintab: beginning to investigate Aric's patch from April.

Robert North 7ownq0k402 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:53:09 CDT 2003

Aric Stewart aric-at-codeweavers.com |Wine Mailing Lists| wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
>  No problem with the timing.
>

>> The first thing I'm seeing is a crash in the WTInfo() wintab call with
>> Painter 5. Will look into this further, and attempt to fix.
>>
>> Aric: Ever had this? I'll investigate further before posting up
>> any significant details, as I suspect the fix is trivial.
>

> This is new to me. i believe the version of painter i tested against was
> painter 7. So i am not sure what Painter 5 does. Generally I have a
> tendency to overload the TRACE channel when i develop. so maybe a good
> +wintab32 log will help.

I think actually it's my X config that's breaking the system.
I'm in the middle of debugging it now.
I haven't tried Photoshop with the patch, but I suspect it will
fail too.

>> I haven't looked any further into Aric's other problems with Painter,
>> as this WTInfo() error prevents Painter from even starting!
>

> I have a number of exe files i downloaded from the wacom developers site
> that test tablets in various ways. do you want me to send them to you?

I've probably got them already....
Tell me the file names first,
and send me any I don't recognise.

>> More importantly, I'd like to know why it didn't make it into the CVS?
>> Did the patch slip behind the filing cabinet (as they do ;-)?
>> Or was there a more substantive reason to reject the patch?
>> I think Mike Hearn mentioned something about it's size (v. large)?
>> Aric, Alexandre: do you want me to want me to re-subimt the patch,
>> once I've got WTInfo() working?
>

> I think we where waiting on you. :) I did not formally commit it to
> wine-patches because i wanted to get your input first.

Ah!
Fair enough.

I would like input from other developers, as I can't comment on Wine
style/policy issues, being somewhat of a newbie to the project.
In particular I think the x11drv developers might want to comment.
Of course, maybe this has already been done 70-90% by internal
Codeweaver reviews.

> If you are planing to expand on my patch, then i would say Alexandre
> should could commit my patch then you work from there. Whatever is
> easiest for you.
>
>> I've also noticed that it doesn't update Wine's autoconf file to
>> look for the XInput X extension, as is done to support other dlls that
>> use X extensions. I assume this should be added.
>

> actually i worked to make all the XInput stuff loaded dynamically to
> handle systems where XInput may not be present. I am not sure what would
> be required for building. If that is a step that is necessary and i
> missed please do.

It's a build time check.
You've already got the run-time check for the library.

I think it's just checking XI.so exists, and that the XI.h XInput.h
files exist. Then in the X11drv/wintab.c, make compile conditional on
the existance of headers & library. (Just a rough sketch, names are
likely wrong)