WineHQ redesign - TODO (Latest News)

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sat Mar 22 02:27:25 CST 2003

On March 21, 2003 06:31 pm, Jeremy Newman wrote:
> I have already implemented one in another site I have done at
> http://scummvm.sf.net/. I could implement something similar here. But,

Yes!!! This is exactly what I had in mind!

> so far you are the only one being vocal about it. Jeremy and I have the
> same opinion, it's unnecessary duplication. So maybe a few more opinions
> are needed to close this issue.

What I don't understand is why you guys maintain that opinion. I have
argued several times it's not duplicated, and I've never received a
response to my arguments :(. Now, I might not be the greatest communicator,
but I've reread what I wrote and it didn't seem that bad :)

I will try to argue the point one more time in my reply to Jer,
so I will refer you to that post.

> I know it seems cool at first, but I
> hate going to sites where the news on the front page of the site is
> months old. It simply looks bad.

I wholeheartedly agree that an unmaintained "Latest News" looks bad.
Very bad. But we are in no such danger: we have regular WWN releases,
Wine releases, product releases from Codeweavers and Transgaming,
various articles in the press, calls for action, fund raising campains,
exciting user level things (e.g. Access works! games XXX works, etc),
and so on, and so forth. These are all news that people want to find
out near real time, not wait for a synthesis magazine that appears weekly.

For example, I go every night to www.kde.org and www.gnome.org to read
their "Latest News" headlines. We have enough of these to get people
to check out the site on a regular basis, just like they do with
LWN. Remember, LWN started as a weekly publication, but the Slashdot-like,
daily updated thing took over soon -- people just like to read headlines
when they happen. This is bound to increase interest and traffic for the
site which is what you want, I just can't understand why you guys are so
opposed to the idea.

--
Dimi.