wine server and services ...

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Sat Mar 22 04:12:06 CST 2003

I guess you can blame the war for some of the delay with that (I live
about where Saddam has aimed most of his scuds 12 years ago - I was more
into launch probabilities and trying on gas masks than wineboot lately).

It basically boils down to this - wineserver has not started any
synchronous wine utils in the past (the font generation is performed, as
far as I can tell, in the server context itself), and the whole thing is
taking time and patience to sort out. If all you want is asynchronous
services starting, that's easy (I practically have the code lying around
somewhere). If you want services to start halting other processes before
they start - that's going to be tricker.

In any case, you can merge that right into wineboot itself. It currently
has several command line options that control how it starts. One of the
option is to do a full session startup, and another is to do just the
pre-login startups (that one doesn't have a command line yet, but that's
really simple). We can put services support there.

We can, but I don't recommend it. I think we should aim for Wine to have
a simple RPM/Deb install. There are several implications to this simple
statement. One of them is using a shared (unix) system wide directory
structure (be it on a real or on a fake windows, doesn't really matter.
Personally I think fake windows is the only thing that really matters).
This, in turn, means that services should be started on system wide
basis. Services also have a different set of permissions and users than
the usual processes. In short - I think they belong in neither wrapper
nor wineboot, but require a more specific solution.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant