A few questions on the mingw port.

Steven Edwards Steven_Ed4153 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 18:04:42 CST 2003

Hello Everyone,
First I want to thank everyone for the help they have given me in
dealing with my bad spelling, lack of grammer and not following the
rules when working to get most of wine built for mingw. I'm trying to do
a little house keeping with Wine and ReactOS and had a few
changes/questions that could make my and the ReactOS teams life a little
easyer with the port.

1. Can we set --disable-win16 CFLAGS=-DWINE_NOWINSOCK" to be default
when building under Mingw? I tried to write a configure patch for this a
while back but never could get the bastard to work. Once this option is
removed all we will be left with is ./configure to configure wine for
mingw. None of the WINE networking stuff will really work for anyone
working with mingw and I dont expect that to change anytime soon.
Without this flag anything that include winsock.h or winsock2.h will
puke when building on Windows. I know that WINE on linux will need win16
for a while due to older installers that are 16bit but for the mingw
port thats kind of not important.

2. Can we set a conditional option to not build winegcc and winewrap?
These are not needed on Windows as they are only used to port mingw
applications to winelib. Due to the use of Unixisms in these programs
(fork, waitpid, etc) they wont build. Now I know we could stub fork and
wrap waitpid to wait but its kind of pointless and I can see one day
when someone will ask why these dont work on windows even though we
build them. IMHO they just shouldnt get built for us.

winegcc.c: In function `spawn':
winegcc.c:86: warning: implicit declaration of function `fork'
winegcc.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of function `waitpid'
winegcc.c:92: warning: implicit declaration of function `WIFEXITED'
winegcc.c:92: warning: implicit declaration of function `WEXITSTATUS'
gcc -DWINE_NOWINSOCK -Wall -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -gstabs+
-Wpointer-arith
  -o winegcc winegcc.o -L../libs/port -lwine_port
winegcc.o(.text+0x1a3): In function `spawn':
g:/src/wine-dev/wine/tools/winegcc.c:86: undefined reference to `fork'
winegcc.o(.text+0x1d2):g:/src/wine-dev/wine/tools/winegcc.c:89:
undefined refere
nce to `waitpid'
winegcc.o(.text+0x202):g:/src/wine-dev/wine/tools/winegcc.c:92:
undefined refere
nce to `WIFEXITED'
winegcc.o(.text+0x211):g:/src/wine-dev/wine/tools/winegcc.c:92:
undefined refere
nce to `WEXITSTATUS'

3. Exclude WINEserver. This is a fun one. I took a look at this a while
back a was able to get about 80% of it to compile native on windows.
Before we can even get wineserver to build/link on mingw we still have
the same problem a cygwin port has and that is what to do with the
get/set thread_context stuff. Also from all I have read a mingw port
would require a major redesign because of the signal/pipe usage. I
looked at porting some of the stuff to windows sockets a while back and
decided I still cant program well enough and I have more interesting
things to do like work on ReactOS. =P

4. This may be more a mingw problem rather then something with WINE but
I figured I would ask while I was making noise. When I try to build the
regression tests under mingw with gcc-3.x I am getting this error. If I
dont include wines libmsvcrt.a it goes away. do the exit functions in
wine and mingws source not agree?

gcc registry.o testlist.o  -o advapi32_test.exe -L../../../dlls
-ladvapi32 -lke
rnel32 -lntdll -L../../../libs/wine -lwine  -L../../../libs/port
-lwine_port -lm
../../../dlls/libmsvcrt.a(ds00443.o)(.text+0x0): multiple definition of
`atexit'
C:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/mingw32/3.2.1/../../../crt2.o(.text+0x40):crt1.c:
fi
rst defined here
../../../dlls/libmsvcrt.a(ds00319.o)(.text+0x0): multiple definition of
`_onexit
C:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/mingw32/3.2.1/../../../crt2.o(.text+0x60):crt1.c:
fi
rst defined here
make[1]: *** [advapi32_test.exe] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/g/src/wine-dev/wine/dlls/advapi32/tests'
make: *** [tests] Error 2

At some point I will do documentation for Mingw on MSYS/Cygwin <g>
Thanks
Steven