current directories

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at
Sun May 4 10:32:31 CDT 2003

while looking at the split of kernel and ntdll, I ran into an
interesting point:
- our current {Get|Set}CurrentDirectory functions behave like the win16
implementation, and maintain a/ a default drive, b/ a default directory
on each drive
- Win32, on the other end, just maintains a current directory. When
using a relative path with a drive letter (like c:foo), win32 actually
uses the directory on drive c:, defined at startup (and passed into the
=c: environment variable)
- the =#: (# in [A,Z]) environment variable is never changed (even when
changing the current directory)

I checked this behavior on Win98 and Win2K.

I'm surprised noone ever run into this bug before (or this is something
that is known for quite some time ?)

Eric Pouech