spam protection on mailing list archives

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at
Thu May 8 14:23:57 CDT 2003

Mike Hearn wrote:

>I'll second what Brian said, if you read the GMANE FAQ it says that the
>general consensus in the anti-spam community is that spam bots don't do
>even trivial unobfustucation, at least for now.
That's no longer the case, I'm afraid. I got spam to an email address
that was only published obfuscated
( - bottom comment is mine).

I suspect that spammers do collect obfuscated addresses from specific
sites they know how to decode (a google search,,
did not bring anything up).

I vote for either totally hiding the email address, or doing javascript
decryption with different keys for different archive posts (code at

Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant
Home page & resume -