spam protection on mailing list archives

Keith Matthews keith_m at
Thu May 8 15:57:36 CDT 2003

On Thu, 08 May 2003 22:23:57 +0300
Shachar Shemesh <wine-devel at> wrote:

> Mike Hearn wrote:
> >I'll second what Brian said, if you read the GMANE FAQ it says that
> >the general consensus in the anti-spam community is that spam bots
> >don't do even trivial unobfustucation, at least for now.
> >

> That's no longer the case, I'm afraid. I got spam to an email address
> that was only published obfuscated
> ( - bottom comment is
> mine).
> I suspect that spammers do collect obfuscated addresses from specific
> sites they know how to decode (a google search,
> did not bring anything up).
> I vote for either totally hiding the email address, or doing
> javascript decryption with different keys for different archive posts
> (code at

If the link between wine-users and c.e.m.w gets operational again it
will need the same treatment.

My vote also goes to complete hiding - does anyone really want any
direct mail from people who are not on the list.