Is it time for playing games on WINE?

Carlos Lozano clozano at andago.com
Sat Nov 1 09:14:48 CST 2003

El sáb, 01 de nov de 2003, a las 13:48, Jason Edmeades escribio:
> Great work, and its good to know we are making progress. I spend most of
> my time working on small tutorials and demos which highlight a specific
> problem, and havent yet had the 'pleasure' of spending much time playing
> the games I have got working!! A list like this is really good (as is
> the fact you have been creating patches!! - I'm not sure about the
> device.c one though, as I think copyrects is hacked to allow back buffer
> updating which would otherwise fail as you are copying to a render
> target).

I agree here, the patches what i have not sent to wine-patches, surely
are incorrect, anyway it is necessary or will crash the game, because
probably the pitch is bad calculated.

> I also dont have the money to buy
> lots of games, so where there is a demo WHICH INSTALLS I can try to take
> a look!

We can use the files from here:

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/gamershell/demo
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/gamesdomain/demos
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/pcgameworld/demos

Sunet is fast, and there is enought demos for the rest of the life ;)

> Personally I would love to have someone maintain a list of things which
> work and which fail, and test them periodically, seperated into the d3d
> level. One huge problem I have is regressions - I can code something to
> fix a particular feature but its very easy to break something else, and
> similarly its nice to know that a particular change actually fixes some
> other games!!

I will do regression tests every several weeks (depends on my limited
time, and travels), but it must be very easy because i am really bad
playing games hehe ;), of course more testers are welcomed.

> Finally some info, I am currently spending my time trying to get some
> features of d3d8 working. I have put on hold render to texture and am
> concentrating on some other areas, although I want to get that one
> working. I then need to make a choice - I can either concentrate on
> performance, on adding hardware vertex shader support or on adding d3d9
> support, and I havent decided which. I think d3d9 would make sense to
> wait until last otherwise any performance work will need doing in one
> place. I have an idea on some ways of speeding things up and have a
> glcore type setup which has been discussed before.

The last demos what i have tried to install (d3d9), need uxtheme.dll,
i am not sure if it is possible to use the native .dll (i haven't XP),
but if it is not possible, i think that d3d9 should be left for later.

Regards,
Carlos.

--
 ___         _          \  |  /  Consulting
| . |._ _  _| | ___  ___  ___    http://www.andago.com
 Carlos A. Lozano   <___'/ | \ -_) __/\__ \ >  <  -_)
 [ carlos.lozano at andago.com ]\___|_|  ____/ _/\_\___|
 [ calb at epsxe.com           ]  http://www.ePSXe.com