Further loader/pthread.c issues

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sat Nov 15 11:37:24 CST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Alexandre,
>
> I noticed that you disabled using pthreads on non-Linux platforms by
> means of the following patch:
>
>   revision 1.12 of loader/Makefile.in
>   date: 2003/11/11 00:48:21;  author: julliard;  state: Exp;  lines: +12 -11
>   Only build both Wine binaries on Linux, pthread support doesn't work
>   on other platforms.
>
> Would you mind reverting this, at least for FreeBSD?  FreeBSD does have
> POSIX threads, in -STABLE and especially improved in -CURRENT (which will
> soon become the stream for regular releases.

My understanding is that Posix threads have never been and will never be
sufficient for Wine. The only reason we have a pthreads version of Wine
is that on recent Linux distributions the way they are implemented makes
it possible for Wine to achieve its means without using undocumented
interfaces (i.e. without overriding obscure internal glibc functions).
But that's not the same as saying Wine is only using the standard
pthreads API either.

And this is why wine-pthread won't work on other platforms that have
pthreads, and why Alexandre disabled compiling wine-pthread on non-Linux
platforms.

That's my undrstanding of the matter anyway. Alexandre will correct me
if I'm wrong.

                  In a world without fences who needs Gates?