Question regarding development..

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Mon Sep 8 07:41:10 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 14:21, Rolf Kalbermatter wrote:
> Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no>
> > On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 17:30, Jon Brandenburg wrote:
> >> Am I allowed to run debug os in connection
> >> with say a piece of test code, with the purpose of extracting the
> >> necessary api information/functionality so it can be rewritten into wine
> >
> >In what way would the debug version help you with that compared to the
> >non-debug version?
>
> I have no idea about the details of Windows debug versions. But I guess
> the debug files may contain a lot of additional informations such as symbol
> names of internal functions which are normally stripped.

Yes, but how would that help? If you just write some test code to see
how an API behaves (what it returns, what effects it has) in various
situations, like Wine's conformance testing framework does, then you're
never going to see that additional debug information anyway, so it won't
make much of a difference. (Well, except that the debug version probably
also contains additional sanity checks so that it will return errors on
invalid input more often, perhaps.)

Or do you plan to single-step through the Windows code? That's the only
case I can think of that debug information becomes useful in this
context, but I'm not sure if that practice would be encouraged whether
or not you use the debug version. In Europe it should be legal for
purposes of interoperability, but it's still best to avoid it to the
extent possible.