newbie - question: compiling winelib's winemine

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Sep 10 06:59:26 CDT 2003

On September 9, 2003 05:10 pm, Deji Akinyemi wrote:

> I seem to be having different outcomes when I compile the code with the
> original Makefile and when I do so with the Makefile generated with
> winemaker.

There were recent problems with winemaker, you may need to tweak it a bit.

> The original winemine makefile compiles the code without a problem and
> the program runs, however when I run the makefile generated by winemaker
> I get the following error:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=":$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /usr/bin/wrc   -I.
> -I/usr/local/include/wine/windows -o En.res En.rc
> En.rc:23:22: Error: parse error

This is because En.rc is missing important includes:
#include <windows.h>
#include "resource.h"

> The wine-lib documentation mentions editing the Makefile.in file, I have
> looked at it and compared it with the original winmine Makefile. The
> winemaker makefile  includes the files  En.rc and Pt.rc in it RC_SRCS
> which is absent from the original Makefile. I removed the two entries
> with the result that the code compiles, but however fails to run. I do
> not get any error messages.

You will need to debug this a bit maybe using winegdb. A --debugmsg +relay
would be good.

> Apart from those RC_SRCS entries I haven't noticed anything semantically
> that would result in the different behaviors that I am getting, granted,
> I may be missing some things.

Another way is to start from the example that works, and start applying
_little_ changes until it breaks.

> P.S.
> Any recommendations on winelib primers would also be much appreciated.

Unfortunately, the documentation is a bit out of date. I suggest you
look at winegcc for compiling winelib apps. It makes thinks simpler,
and if your app is already buildable with MinGW, it should build
out of the box with winegcc.

--
Dimi.