Indent to get Avisynth working with Wine/Winelib

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Thu Sep 11 09:29:48 CDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:13:18 -0400, Sir Kevin Atkinson scribed thus:
> But can I say I need this block of memory (ie an arbitrary block which
> already has data in it) to be shared.

Yes, I think so, the main problem is that setting up a SHM segment is a
bit expensive, so you want to reuse it once you're up and running.

> I want to avoid having to copy large amounts of data.  If that can not
> be done Avisynth will need to be
> modified to allocate memory for its frames from a specific region of
> memory.

That's a possibility, yes, but making avisynth reuse memory like that
could improve efficiency anyway as it won't constantly be calling malloc.

> Just to be sure.  A normal Linux application CAN NOT load a winlib shared
> library.  Correct?

There are hacks around to do it, but all are very specific to that
situation (like the Mono patches, mplayer etc).

> Also, how is the calling of Windows codec done in mplayer, xine, and the
> like?  Could something like that be done.  Avisynth has so GUI.

They basically ripped the Wine DLL/PE loader code and then provided their
own stubbed implementations of the code, ie massive hackery. You could go
that way if you wanted, but I don't know much about how they did it beyond
that.

thanks -mike