tools/translations_status

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun Sep 21 09:18:10 CDT 2003

On September 20, 2003 01:05 pm, Vincent Béron wrote:
> What is needed is a parser to get at least the structure of the .rc
> files, to identify the layout of the menus and the ID of the strings,
> and then compare those between languages. Or something based on that
> (removing quoted text and comments, then diff? That'd be possible in sh
> probably).

I think a parser is a bit too fancy. And even if we compare the structure,
we still can't tell if the strings are translated. What we need is a bit
of help from the translator. They should include a meta comment in the
first kilobyte stating what version of the master file they translated.

Something like this:

MASTER: [<lang>] <version>

The <lang> is the 2 letter code of the master language. It is optional,
if not present it defaults to English (En).

The <version> is the CVS version of the translated file, like 1.25.

If we don't find this info, the script will default to the current
timestamp-based comparison, and it will flag the translation somehow
as missing the metainfo so that the translator is aware of the problem.

This also works nicely when the translator forgets to update this info,
since in that case the script will still mark the translation out of
date, and force the translator to correctly set it. (Also, they can not
cheat by setting a high number, as we can easily detect and flag that :)).

--
Dimi.