interactive dsound tests fail && winealsa problem

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at
Wed Sep 24 13:29:12 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 10:55 am, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> wine at writes:
> > So, what I'm wondering now is:  1) Should I bother finishing it?  OSS is
> > working fine for me again, and if someone else is going to fix the
> > existing ALSA driver...., and 2) if the answer to question 1 is 'yes',
> > then what is the proper protocol for submitting such a substantial code
> > change.  IMO a separate driver would be less destabilizing (don't run it
> > if you don't want to!), but a little confusing (two ALSA drivers?).
> No I don't think we want two ALSA drivers, we want one that works
> right in all cases.

Nevertheless, I don't see how it could be a bad thing to post your code here
on wine-devel; that way others could at least borrow from your code.
Alternatively, finish the driver, and if it's better than the existing one,
perhaps it should replace it... wine-devs including AJ cannot possibly know
if your code is better or worse, or how to use it or not use it, without
seeing it.

I agree that two drivers is silly but that doesn't mean your code cannot be
used in some other way... there may be some other problem for all I know, but
the two-drivers thing is a red herring.  Don't let that stop you from sharing
the fruits of your labor, if that is what you want to do...

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his
 hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H. L. Mencken