How to run program without wine ?

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Thu Sep 25 10:45:31 CDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, flyker wrote:

> Hmmm.... Than i don't see any reason to compile program using winelib.

True, there's not much reason to do so other than:
  1. being able to call Unix functions from your Win32 program
  2. a warm and fuzzy feeling that you've "ported" the app to Linux :)

> What is the difference between
> wine program.exe
> and
> wine program.exe.so

Right now, not much, other than one is in the PE format, the other
in the ELF format. So the second one is in the native Linux binary
format, which a lot a people seem to like (at an emotional level).
The second one allows you do interact with the Unix environment,
so it's not a compelete waste of time.

> I think the goal of winelib is to make independent executable.
> And i don't see any other goal.

I agree, but this is not currently possible. We hope to get there
someday (so it's a good thing if your app compiles under Winelib),
but this is a post 1.0 goal.

--
Dimi.