How to run program without wine ?

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Sep 25 17:04:05 CDT 2003

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

>>I think the goal of winelib is to make independent executable.
>>And i don't see any other goal.
>>

>I agree, but this is not currently possible. We hope to get there
>someday (so it's a good thing if your app compiles under Winelib),
>but this is a post 1.0 goal.

I don't see that happening, ever.

A Win32 program needs Win32 environment. Be that a registry, the Win32
APIs, or a forest directory structure and "My Documents" and "Program
Files". While you may theoretically get the APIs by statically linking
the DLLs into the executable, all of the rest are only available if Wine
is installed on the machine. As such, I don't think a Winelib app will
be able to ever live without a wine environment.

It is true that we can let go of the PE loader (in principle), but that
is such a minor part of the grand scheme of things, that I don't see any
reason to even attempt it.

As things stand, and it's certanly what I'm recommending to people - if
all you want is to have your program function on an i386 Linux - just
make sure the same PE works on Wine.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh