inheriting exec-shield avoidance

Peter Riocreux par+wine_devel at silistix.com
Thu Apr 8 08:15:34 CDT 2004

I am intermittently trying to get Wine to play nicely with a big EDA
tool, and it is doing not too badly today with the 20040309 snapshot
on Fedora Core 1.

The thing that I think is stopping it working is that whatever is done
to stack-shield by the prepending "setarch i386" on invocation is not
inherited by the .exe that the program calls. Net result is that I get
the "..... security-patched kernel ?" error message from the child
process instead of the parent. Progress of a sort.

Is there anything, short of turning off exec-shield entirely, that can
be done about this?

The full set of messages it emits (with program identities obscured to
avoid identifying the much-cheaper-when-bought-as-windows-binary
application) is below. The printer message mentions an extant queue.

----8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<----
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x41a8af,1) - no error checking or testing yet
err:comm:GetCommState tcgetattr error 'Invalid argument'
fixme:commdlg:PRINTDLG_OpenDefaultPrinter Could not open printer pica_duplex?!
fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x7800f03e,1) - no error checking or testing yet
err:virtual:map_image Standard load address for a Win32 program (0x00400000) not available - security-patched kernel ?
wine: could not load L"G:\\path\\to\\my\\child.exe" as Win32 binary

Peter