RFH: winetest testing

Kevin Koltzau kevin at plop.org
Tue Apr 27 22:08:19 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 08:57 pm, Chris Morgan wrote:
> When I was trying to run the winetests in gui mode they simply wouldn't run.
> Winetest would start but wouldn't spawn any of the subtests.  Ferenc's
> winetest build with console windows worked much better.  I don't have any
> idea why this might occur, maybe because child processes of services can't
> popup windows?

Under NT, services run under a dedicated window station separate from the interactive
window station. It is not possible for them to create windows, as there is no display or
user input associated with this windows station, they can however have a console

It may be possible for a GUI app to create a console manually to allow the tests to run,
but I have not verified this
It may also be possible to create the test processes with input redirected to a pipe, so that it
does not require a true console however some of the tests requiring a console may fail in this
case

These pages may provide some insight into the problems you are having
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/window_stations.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/interactive_services.asp