RFH: winetest testing

Ferenc Wagner wferi at afavant.elte.hu
Thu Apr 29 02:06:25 CDT 2004

Eric Pouech <pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr> writes:

>> The output redirection didn't work from a GUI app: the libc
>> streams weren't initialized and thus the output disappeared.
>> Wouldn't DETACHED_PROCESS result the same?  It's not crucial
>> for winetest itself, but making it a console app helped
>> debugging tremendously.
>
> I think the stream (handle) point of view worked, but
> somehow msvcrt doesn't initialize stdin/err/out when the
> app is in GUI mode.

Pretty much so.  The output simply didn't appear, even if
the GUI app was started from a console.  No errors here.

> It may work if the app would close 0,1,2 and reopen them
> on standard handles

Do you mean StdHandles a la Windows?  I'm not sure a GUI app
has them.  Even if it had, there's no way to convert them
into libc handles or streams AFAIK.

>> In short, I've got the impression that things are working
>> out now (by using some black magic -- ie. winetest being a
>> CUI -- which I don't understand), so maybe we could simply
>> leave it for now.  Or do I miss serious issues?
>
> the only point is that we don't have a consistent basis
> across platforms were we start the tests from:
> - all tests programs are CUI exec
> - but, we don't know if it's attached to a console or not

A CLI program is attached to a console unless created with
fancy flags, isn't it?  Presently I only ask for the window
to be hidden, nothing else.

> - if attached to a console, we don't know whether other
> processes are outputting to the same console (which could
> impact the tests...)

I never thought of this.  If this really can be a problem,
we must solve it, thanks for bringing it up.  However I seem
to recall that the console test pops up a separate console,
so maybe isn't affected after all.  Other test shouldn't
care...  But I will soon look into this (may take a couple
of days, though).
--
Feri.