Info on debugging requested: trying to run "Hearts of Iron"

Simon Kitching simon at ecnetwork.co.nz
Thu Aug 19 19:00:05 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 19:31, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 06:43:14PM +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > Backtrace:
> > =>1 0x004191fb (0x406bfe94)
> >   2 0x005af5b2 (0x406bff20)
> All in app space, most likely. Not very useful, I'm afraid.

Yes, I had leapt to the assumption that the exception was occurring
within Wine code. I shouldn't have assumed that.

> > And then is there a way to step through at the source rather than
> > assembly level?
> --> only if you have the game source ;-)

If the address 0x004191fb is within wine, then presumably there will be
some way to determine the source line within wine?

And if it's in the game code, do people use c decompilers? Or is knowing
x86 assembly code a requirement for debugging code that uses wine?

> > Any suggestions on how to make progress on this issue are welcome.
> If a relay trace doesn't help, then the next thing would be to disas
> surrounding code at 0x004191fb and walk back the code flow to find out
> where the NULL %ecx was coming from.

I have some good news anyway. I still can't load the games I saved
earlier. But I tried starting a new game, and can load/save happily. So
the possibilities are:
(a) that the problem was caused by a corrupt save-file being *created*
when running with the debian wine release (Version: 0.0.20040615-1), and
that now I am running with wine CVS HEAD, games are being saved
properly.
(b) that there is a bug in HoI, and that the saved game wouldn't have
loaded on Windows anyway. I will test this theory soon by taking the
save-game to a friend with a Windows copy and see what happens. It would
be truly bad luck to strike an HoI bug the first time I try to run it
under Wine, but stranger things have happened.
(c) that the bug is wine-related, but only pops up sometimes. I can test
this by playing a lot more games, and seeing if it happens again.

So for now, I'm going to suspend the wine debugging, and do some more
playing instead :-)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Simon