<<PATCH>> Added shell32.dll functions to browse for unix directory; altered winecfg to use it to select the root directory of a virtual drive

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Fri Dec 3 03:40:38 CST 2004

Steven Edwards wrote:

>--- Mike Hearn <mh at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>

>>What's wrong with additional APIs? The browse folder API isn't COM based
>>anyway.
>>

>It would be much better to use the API provided to create a namespace for the Unix filesystem. The
>Control Panel and Network Neighborhood are good examples of this. Quite a few third party apps
>create a virtual namespace for things like CVS so I don't see why we can't work in the existing
>API to do this with the Unix fs.
>
>Thanks
>Steven

It's been a LONG while since I messed with shell extensions. However, if
my memory serves me right, you cannot pass virtual namespaces to
"CreateFile" and friends. The only one who knows how to work with
virtual namespaces is explorer.

That may not be much of a problem for the winecfg utility, but it's
something to consider. Esp. being that we don't have a proper explorer
(and none is planned for Wine that I know of, and ReactOs doesn't seem
to need Posix filenames...)

       Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh