Trolling and helping a spammer (was Re: New Open Source License: Single Supplier Open Source License)

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at
Sun Jan 25 02:25:41 CST 2004

Hi guys,

First, someone who sends the same email to at least four mailing lists
(freebsd, wine-devel, postgresql-hackers and ossi) is a spammer in my
book. Replying to his email, especially to lists that are not relevant
(i.e. - any but ossi) is helping him along.

To answer his (asked) question - since this license is clearly LGPL
incompatible, I don't think he is likely to make contributions to Wine
under this license. At least, not contributions that will be accepted.
As his license is also BSD incompatible, I dare say it is equally off
topic for FreeBSD and postgresql.

This guy is obviously trying to solve the "how can I make money from
free software" dillema by introducing a proprietary license and calling
it "OpenSource". Interesting idea, but it has been tried before
(, except
they didn't have the audacity to call it open source). This is just a
proprietary license. Nothing more to see here. Move along.

I am not subscribed to the stable at mailing list. A search of
the archives did not show this particular Richard Schilling post. I was
not sure whether to dump this mail (which is just as off topic as the
original one) on that list as well. I'm sorry if I chose wrong.

I did notice that on stable at freebsd, Richard is at least an occasional
poster. Here on Wine-devel he is a first time poster as far as I can
see. This may explain the difference in responses between the lists.

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Richard Schilling wrote:
>> I would like to present to you all a new Open Source software license
>> I've written up.
> [ ... ]
> One the face of it, Section III, "Distribution Restrictions and
> Obligations." of your license fails to comply with OSD #1 & 2:
> "1. Free Redistribution
> The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away
> the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution
> containing programs from several different sources. The license shall
> not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.
> 2. Source Code
> The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in
> source code as well as compiled form...."
> See

Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting