build problem

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Jul 19 11:44:59 CDT 2004

Stefan Leichter <Stefan.Leichter at camLine.com> writes:

> My computer has a cvs (source) tree and the build tree. When i make
> changes to test something, i copy the source file to be changed for
> the source tree into the build tree and modify it. After this i run
> configure, make depend, make and make install in the build tree to get
> the changes into the wine binary.
>
> If a c-source file or a header file exists in the build tree it ist
> used instead of the file in the source tree. Spec files in the build
> tree are ignored. They are always used from the source tree. Therefore
> i have to edit the Makefile in the build tree to use the modified spec
> file, or like the dll.so file by hand.
>
> Hope my problem is explained clearer now. Do i use an undocumented feature?

Yes, that's not how you are supposed to use build trees. The build
tree should contain only generated files, all the sources should be in
the source tree. It won't work right to have sources in both places,
not only because of the spec files, dependencies also won't be correct
include files may not always be included from where you expect, etc.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org