Wine and locales

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Thu Jul 29 22:56:47 CDT 2004

"Dmitry Timoshkov" <dmitry at> writes:

> "Alexandre Julliard" <julliard at> wrote:
>> > FindResourceA
>> > FindResourceExA
>> These ones have been well tested already.
> I don't see the tests for them in the CVS, especially part about LANGID
> preference order.

There's no automated test, because it's a bit tricky to switch locales
under Windows since not all locales may be supported on a given
install. I can assure you that it has been tested and that the
behavior is correct (modulo UI language as mentioned already).

>> I see no reason to revert the patch. It's going to make no difference
>> for 99% of our users, and for the remaining 1% it's about as likely to
>> fix things as it is to break them.
> OK, in the worst case perhaps I will need to send a custom version
> of kernel32 with the patch reverted to the affected cxoffice users.

If they really have configured LC_CTYPE in a way that breaks things, I
would suggest to them to fix it instead, this way it will also fix
their Unix setup. Now, if you really know of a case where there is a
legitimate reason for someone to have an LC_CTYPE setup that breaks
Wine, then of course that would be a good argument against the patch.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at

More information about the wine-devel mailing list