3GB address space

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Jun 15 10:00:26 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:58:27 +0300, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Is there a way to run processes intended for a 3GB user addressable
>>memory to work under Wine? I'm talking here, of course, assuming that
>>the Linux kernel is compiled with the relevant big memory support.
>>

>Currently (in CVS) Wine reserves the top 2gig of memory to ensure memory
>isn't allocated from there. If the only difference is that the app expects
>to be able to load stuff high you could modify that code to only reserve
>the top gig.
>
>If that's not the only difference then I don't know I'm afraid.
>
>thanks -mike

At the time this change was introduced, it was because some applications
would break if they got too high addresses for their things. I then
asked what would those apps do on Windows Advanced Server, and the
answer was that applications that require the 3GB space mark that fact
in the PE header somewhere. Can we take consideration of this marking
and honor it?

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh