Contribution offer: Localization work

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Mon Mar 8 05:28:13 CST 2004

Fabian Cenedese wrote:

>>Wine ist Freie Software, die unter der GNU LGPL veröffentlicht wird;
>>Bitte lesen Sie die Details in der Datei LICENSE nach.
>>

>If there is a translated Readme shouldn't there also be a translated licence
>file?

No. The FSF cannot approve any translation as legally binding, which
means that all translations are for information only, and are not the
actual license.

The problem is that the FSF cannot sufficiently verify that the ancient
greek translation is 1-1 identical in limitations to the English
original. As such, if the ancient greek version has a loophole, this
hole is suddenly applicable to all versions in all languages.

They were considering saying something along the lines of "This German
translation is only applicable to German speaking countries", but I
guess that has lots of loopholes too.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting