cards.dll

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Mar 16 01:57:01 CST 2004

Joerg Mayer wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:09:24AM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>

>>Can someone remind me again why we can't have GPL DLLs in the tree?
>>Doesn't the "call through documented interface blah blah blah not
>>derived work" argument cause the license for each two DLLs in Wine to be
>>independant?
>>

>Basically it goes like this: LGPLed code can be run as a library, i.e.
>a function of an LGPLed dll can be called as a function call.
>GPLed code must be run as a (Unix) process if you want to use it from
>non-GPL-compatible code. See the GPL and especially the GPL FAQ for details.
>
> Ciao
>  Jörg

Hmm. All I could find about it is at
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation. They do
suggest that. However, as that point says so well, they are not to judge.

I'll give a counter pointer, but not go into the discussion. I think
it's unsuitable for wine-devel, and wine-license is dead. Anyone
interested in continuing this discussion - please email me privately.
I'll be happy to cross CC everyone who do.

The counter pointer - http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6366

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh