systray in desktop mode [unified resend]

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Mon Mar 29 23:08:08 CST 2004

Hello Mike,

> However, we do want native shell32 to work, so it'll be using the same
> protocol.

sure.

> > Well, let's see how far Mike's upcoming rewritten systray can handle this.
> > I may have a look in the new code, and see if I it's possible to do it
> > without knowing about the desktop mode.
>
> Getting explorer/systray to work in Wine may not be easy, however
> ReactOS and Wine should be able to share the same shell32 which I think
> is the idea, yes?

If you want to do exactly what native shell32 does, you can just drop
all the old (non-desktop mode) code and replace it with what my
patch wanted to do in desktop mode.
This is also how the ReactOS implementation already looks like.
This is the simple case, because there's no Linux desktop, in which
the icons should be integrated. SHELL_NotifyIcon() just passes the
messages to any existing "Shell_TrayWnd" window.

Your new implementation will also create such a message receiver
window. So you want to create your tray window at any startup of
Wine regardless if it will be used or not? May be a bit overkill, but
it would work.

In the result it will look like this:
If there is no explorer application, the icons will show up in the
Linux systray. If there is an Explorer running, they will show up
_both_ in Linux' and Explorer's systray.

Regards,

    Martin