Running "United Devices Agent" (was Re: Unhandled API Call to Kernel32 Question)

Roger Olson u60 at comcast.net
Mon May 10 13:21:57 CDT 2004

 Mon, 10 May 2004 10:29:34 +0100 Mike Hearn Wrote:
> What sort of program is this? The only use of CreateRemoteThread that I'm
> aware of is for bots like Kore which inject themselves into games to
> perform remote control.

United Devices Agent is a distributed computing application like setiathome
but used for cancer/smallpox research in an attempt to find cures.  It is
listed
as app 874 in the winedb.  When the agent is reopened to continue processing
a saved in-progress work unit, it opens a child app (eg: ud_1396140.exe
containing an xml file and ud_ligfit_Release.exe).  The later file actually
preforms
the number processing and is a grandchild proess of the agent.  Otherwise,
it
phones home to get a new work unit and proceeds as above.

Early after "wine ud.exe" these errors come up, apparently when one or both
process children open:

<snip>
fixme:seh:EXC_RtlRaiseException call to unimplemented function
kernel32.dll.CreateRemoteThread
fixme:msvcrt:_XcptFilter (-2147483392,0x4074da7c)semi-stub
wine: Unhandled exception (thread 000c), starting debugger...
fixme:powermgnt:GetSystemPowerStatus (): stub, harmless.
WineDbg starting on pid b
<snip>

I have the full wine and the "ps -Afm" results saved.

Thanks Roger