How difficult would it be to make the equivalent of Windows Terminal Server with Wine?

Boaz Harrosh boaz at hishome.net
Mon Nov 1 09:27:58 CST 2004

Hans Leidekker wrote:

>I really like the concept but your approach seems to limit publishing of apps
>to Windows boxes. Theoretically you could run the OCX (Internet Explorer) on
>Wine and the Cygwin/X as well but not practically though, if only from a
>performance point of view.
>
>It would be more interesting if Mac/Linux/Unix users could use their browser
>of choice and their native X server, which is usually already installed on
>those platforms. How exactly is this approach dependent on the use of an OCX?
>
> -Hans

Very good question!
Once I de-wrinkle all details with my boss, I want to publish the source
for the OCX. The first "todo" it will have is the:
How to port to other platforms/browsers.?

On the Server html page I have the <object> tag with the
CODEBASE="path2cab/xwidget.CAB" attribute
(xwidget is what I called the OCX)

I have read that there is a way to have platform/browser specific
installation packages. But than how to do it with each platform?
I don't know? any Mozilla guru out there that can help. On Linux all you
need is a client side access to the shell. And also on Mac OSX.

Actually all it is on windows is a shell access with an invocation of
ssh -X, And the regular IE's safe-for-scripting stuff.
(ssh is installed along side with the cygwin/X server)

It is all very Client un-safe and should probably be confined to the
IntraNet only. Server safety can be kept.
Maybe the best would be to embed the ssh inside the Object and not let
the server have a shell access on the client. I'll see how it goes and
if client safety is requested at all.

Free Life
Boaz