epoll, LSB (was: Re: Problem roundup)

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sun Nov 21 16:37:00 CST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 16:38 -0500, Vincent Béron wrote:
> > Yes while we're on the subject the FC2 RPMs are compiled with libICU
> > giving GDI32 a dependency on libstdc++ 5, whereas FC3 apparently only
> > installs libstdc++ 6 by default requiring the user to install
> > compat-libstdc++ (assuming they can diagnose the linker/rpm error of
> > course).
>
> I guess that'd depend on where libICU comes from (and which libstdc++
> it's compiled against). AFAIK, libICU is not shipped with FC2 nor FC3,
> so the libstdc++ version will depend on where it comes from (ie, not
> under my control). If people begin to mix from 3rd party builds without
> any thought about the dependencies on their system...

Hrm, I thought it came from your system? I mean the RPMs *seem* to
include libICU: the gdi DLL is much bigger on disk than my own non-ICU
build is, and it depends on libstdc++ which mine doesn't either. You're
not building the FC RPMs with ICU?

> > People choosing the wrong RPM is a very common mistake.
>
> What do you propose then? I can't prevent all user mistakes when they
> choose a filename.

It's not a very helpful answer right now but long term I'm proposing a
single binary package that works for everyone, with distro-specific
packages there for those who want them.

> And I'll most probably do it for next release.

Cool.

thanks -mike

--
Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx>