shlfolder test fails on my system

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Fri Oct 8 02:23:27 CDT 2004

I get among other failures in other dlls one at the recently added shlfolder
test in shell32. It fails for the three cases where it probably is supposed to
compare testdir with test1.txt, test2.txt, and test3.txt.

While my first idea was a difference in character weighting and comparison I
did some more investigations and it seems the test does make specific assumptions
as to in which order IEnumIDList should return filenames. The test assumes they
are returned in the order as they were created. IEnumIDList is basically creating
that list through FindFirstFile and FindNextFile.

Is FindFirstFile/FindNextFile really supposed to return items in a particular order
or is the test making assumptions which happen to work for some systems accidentally?

Rolf Kalbermatter